Monday, January 21, 2008
Friday, January 18, 2008
I saw my colleague the other day poking around beneath a mulberry tree. He looked a little pissed so I decided to ask him what is wrong.
"What's wrong??! What's wrong you ask?? Look at this and tell me what you see," he said while pointing to the tree in front of us.
All I saw were red and not quite so ripe mulberries on the tree.
"Exactly! Those damn grasscutters and gardeners are eating all the ripe ones."
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Seeing the name of the shop for the first time made my heart skip a beat. Sugar-Not... Could it be? I went inside and asked the attendant which pastries were sugar free. She answered back, "all of them". And that was when I realized I was in sugar free heaven. :D
Their menu was mouth watering with sample photos of some of the items. I decided to give it a shot.
- New York Cheesecake - a bit dry and the blueberry topping featured in the menu was not available. A bit of a disappointment.
- Carrot Cake - very very nice. It was moist and flavorful. Just what I imagined it to taste like.
- Latte Lite - the best I tasted so far. Beats an iced Starbucks café latté with sugar free vanilla syrup anytime.
I will definitely go back there to sample the rest of their offerings. Can't wait…
Monday, January 07, 2008
Things that I should spend less on:
* Eating out -- I used to cook often but lately I have been eating out a lot. I hope to change that this year. The downside is that I tend to get fatter when I do my own cooking :p
* Buying overpriced coffee -- Ok I admit it, I have probably spend a whole lot of money on coffee than I should have just for the months of November, December and January. All because of a lousy planner that I have just gave away to friends. It would have been cheaper if I just had bought them the planner instead of collecting all those promo stickers from Starbucks.
* Impulse buying -- the year 2007 was a landmark year for me in terms of impulse buying. The items ranged from a nice mini tripod that I just had to buy to a very nice Bluetooth keyboard for my equally nice new phone (the keyboard was one-third the price of my phone). That also includes all the cheap but moderately useful items I buy from my favorite budget gadget store (CDRKING). And did I really need that new widescreen LCD monitor? I'm guessing not.
* Fuel and car maintenance related expenses -- I'm not sure what I can do about this category but this represents a huge chunk of my total expenses in 2007. A colleague suggested I stop doing my maintenance checks with the OEM and stick with 3rd parties offering the same services instead. Almost all of my Christmas-bonus just went to that single maintenance repair. Bummer huh... :(
Wednesday, January 02, 2008
We played Bingo starting 9pm (I did not win anything) and ate free food (mostly food that are traditionally served for the new year like round fruits, Balut, Hot Chocolate, salabat and assorted "kakanin"). I tried taking some pictures of the fireworks. I did not prepare beforehand and I was fumbling with my camera when the fireworks display started, had to swap out inappropriate filters that were installed, and eventually just ran out of battery power. :(
I think some of the pics turned out nicely though.